(urth) Bit of Wolfe news

aaron aaronsingleton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 08:24:59 PDT 2008

I just read this on Sci-fi wire.  A bit of info on GW's next two books.

Multiple-award-winning SF/fantasy author Gene Wolfe told SCI FI Wire that
his latest novel, *An Evil Guest*, takes place in the same world as his
novella "Memorare," which was a finalist for both the Hugo and Nebula
awards.

"I'd written 'Memorare,' laid in a world in which a low-cost star drive had
been discovered in the near future, and I wanted to set another story
there," Wolfe said in an interview.

But while that sounds like a traditional science fiction story, *An Evil
Guest* includes many other elements, such as wizards and werewolves.

Years ago, Wolfe heard someone describe a consultant as a "wizard," so he
thought: What if that consultant everybody said was a wizard actually
*was*a wizard? "When I had pictured him in the Oval Office talking to
the
president, I knew what he looked like and what he was like, and I knew that
his name was Gideon Chase," Wolfe said.

In the novel, the wizard Gideon Chase is asked to go after sinister
billionaire William Reis. "Unable to locate Reis, Chase uses his powers to
render a minor actress--Cassie Casey--beautiful, glamorous and immensely
talented," Wolfe said. "Reis takes the bait. He steals it, too."

There are many technological (and other) wonders in the book. "The star
drive is the main technological marvel," Wolfe said. "The money that would
buy you a light plane today will buy you a spacecraft. Cassie's agent says
her hopper [spacecraft] is just a little pink bug, but one she can drive to
Mars. [Also,] Reis can manufacture gold, but his gold is radioactive. There
are aliens living on Earth and keeping out of sight."

Wolfe is currently working on two new books. "*The Sorcerer's House* [is]
almost ready to go to the agency; of course it's been almost ready for about
a year," he said. "I'm still writing the first draft of *Home Fires*, and
the second is going to be a bear." --*John Joseph Adams*