(urth) symbolism: Avern

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Oct 9 16:33:14 PDT 2008

RE: the Avern, The Flower of Dissolution:

The Avern is a symbol of the Conciliator, of Severian. (as well as the other Death/ Underworld meanings it carries.

"They had a stiffness, a geometrical precision, surely born under some other sun. The color of their leaves was that of a scarab's back, but infused with tints at once deeper and more translucent. It seemed to imply the existence of a light somewhere, some inconceivable distance away, of a spectrum that would have withered or perhaps ennobled the world."

"I saw that each leaf was like a dagger blade, stiff and pointed, with edges sharp enough to satisfy even Master Gurloes.  Above these leaves, the half-closed white blossoms we had seen from across the lake seemed creations of pure beauty, virginal fantasies guarded by a hundred knives. They were wide and lush, and their petals curled in a way that should have seemed tousled if it had not formed a complex swirling pattern that drew the eye like a spiral limned on a revolving disc."

You've basically got a pure white blossom from another world surrounded by rainbow-black swords, deadly as poison..  New Sun as the crown of a Torturer.

Then of course, you have Severian's belief in a "Light that will bring life", and the general belief in the New Sun. The Avern suggests this light that will wither and/or ennoble the world. it's both.  Severian's dichotomy is illustrated in the razor sharp poisonous black plant with the virginal white blossom that seems to fractal out.

one more detail that shows the analogy to the Conciliator:
"And watch out, you are always closer to an avern than you think."  ~Agia

This should couple obviously with the above belief in the New Sun / Conciliator. Like Christ is to be found in our hearts. You're always  closer than you think.   Cheesy take I guess. Death is also always closer than you think.

Also, I've said "rainbow-black", and black, but he says it's the color of a "scarab's back"

why Scarab?
short:
Called the dung beetle because of its practice of rolling a ball of dung across the ground. The Egyptians observed this behavior and equated it with the ball of the sun being rolled across the sky. They confused this balled food source with the egg sack that the female dung beetle laid and buried in the sand. When the eggs hatched the dung beetles would seem to appear from nowhere, making it a symbol of spontaneous creation. In this role it was associated with the sunrise. Khepri was the scarab headed god.

Long:
The rolling of the dung ball reminded Egyptians of the movement of the constantly renewed sun which rose in the east and set in the west each day. These observations caused the scarab to be associated with the sun, regeneration, renewal, and resurrection.

The dung beetle was also associated with autogenesis and self-renewal since to others, its young appeared to spontaneously crawl out of the dung heap without mother or father. Both the image of the beetle rolling its own ball and the spontaneously self-generated young associated the scarab with the Egyptian World Egg which gave birth to all life. The male scarab is often shown pushing before him the sun or the World Egg.
Early Christians often used the symbols of sun gods to represent aspects of their new religion. They associated the scarab with Christ's Resurrection and the victory of the Light of the World over the darkness of sin and death. Some people believed that each dung beetle laid only a single egg which he used to give birth to himself. This misconception led early Christians to call Christ the "Good Scarab" to remind themselves that He was God's "only begotten Son" and "true God from true God" (John 3:16, 18; see also John 1:1-3). Kircher reports that in Germany, when reading Psalm 22:6, some people once read "But I am a scarab and no man." Probably because the lowly death and "rebirth" of the scarab was as good a symbol of the Crucified Christ anticipating His Resurrection as the changing of a caterpillar into a butterfly was.
my emphasis.

I'm sure you all don't need me to elaborate more than those quotes do.

yowza, I'm halfway through my second read (well, I just finished Claw, so 2/5 I guess) and this book just gets better and better.