(urth) Best of Gene Wolfe and another thing

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Thu Oct 9 00:26:08 PDT 2008

Don writes:

> On An Evil Guest related note, I've just finished The Shark God, by
> Charles Montgomery, about his experiences in Melanesia, which is the
> obvious analog for the islands of the Takanga Group.

Beg to differ, Takanga sounded a lot more like Tonga than it does like
anyplace else. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonga

In any case it is obviously a Polynesian and not a Melanesian country:
Polynesians are the brown giants, Melanesians are smaller and look like
Africans, more or less.

On an aside, Nan Madol (http://www.pohnpeiheaven.com/nanmadol.htm) seems
to have been Lovecraft's model for lost R'lyeh.

.