(urth) Best of Gene Wolfe and another thing

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 21:50:41 PDT 2008

Sometimes, probably most times, God, or fate, or whomever or whatever, throws an unworthy dog(gett) a bone. I was perusing a box of ARCs at work today and what did I pull up from the churning depths of the Wordage Sea but an advance copy of The Best of Gene Wolfe. There are thirty-one stories total, and I'm willing to list them if there is interest and if none of the members with more editorial savy than I have find it objectionable.

On An Evil Guest related note, I've just finished The Shark God, by Charles Montgomery, about his experiences in Melanesia, which is the obvious analog for the islands of the Takanga Group. I have no idea if Wolfe has read this book but it is a fascinating travel memoir, and at the end, sublimely moving. I can't recommend it enough.

Don

The Evangelists: a Lesser Apocrypha                                                                        http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=178109961