(urth) a lurker asks a question

Bruce Hayles brucehayles at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:55:03 PDT 2008

I didn't mean "alternate reality" literally. I mean that were circumstances
different for Severian you can see him being a good librarian. That is, if
Severian had different parents and lived in the citadel and he ended up
reading a lot in the library, perhaps he would have been taken as an
apprentice of the librarians. The guild (if I remember correctly) takes
orphans (such as they can get) small enough that their heads are below the
phallus of some statue. I don't think Severian could be taken by the
librarians while being an apprentice torturer.