(urth) a lurker asks a question

Bruce Hayles brucehayles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:27:51 PDT 2008

Gwern mentioned an interview with Gene Wolfe saying that Severian is an
intellectual that doesn't know he is an intellectual. "It's a pity you are a
torturer, " Ultan said. "You might have been a philosopher..." on pg 47.
Reading Severian's narrative, I can't help but think he is an intellectual;
but his narrative never really reveals that he thinks of himself as such
(consistent with the quote from Wolfe). I don't recall specific instances,
but Severian does think of himself as dense. For example, when he cannot
explain why the claw only heals at certain times he thinks himself slow. So
maybe this chapter serves to validate the idea that Severian is an
intellectual by showing that other people (Ultan) think so.

Along the same line, the chapter points out of incongruity of Severian as a
torturer. We are forced to compare Cyby and Severian. On pg 45 Ultan
describes the process whereby apprentices are selected. "He hesistated, and
though I could discern no expression on his face, I received the impression
that he feared what he was about to say might cause Cyby pain." And
afterwards, when Severian says that the guild takes such children as they
can, Ultan mutters, "We do the same." The implication seems to be that Cyby
is a less than ideal apprentice. This combined with Ultan's previous
observation of Severian's intellectualism seems to suggest an alternate
reality in which Severian was an apprentice to the librarian. I would like
to draw this out further by saying that Cyby is incurious and would make a
good torturer, but I do not see any evidence for it in the text (perhaps I
missed it.)

Another purpose of the chapter is to show the internal conflict Severian is
having between his pledge to Vodalus and his duty to his guild. He asks
Severian whose apprentice he is, and Severian hesitates (long enough for
Ultan to actually repeat his question) and recalls the scene with Vodalus.
Clearly Severian has yet to come to terms with his acceptance of the chrisos
(the pledge to Vodalus) and his duty to the guild.