(urth) re silk is caldo

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 08:14:16 PST 2008

Good points Craig - and I appreciate your analysis rather than the attacks I feared.
I think it is close to what Severian expounds.  I don't really want to start a riot, but my position on voting is that there are specialized members in every society who are qualified for some tasks but should not be involved in every one.  I do not feel that your average trapeze artist or even banker has any right to have input into government - but they can certainly show you how the trapeze works or how to apply for a loan. Similarly I do not want the input of an unconvicted pimp to have equal sway with my words - and since my attitudes are in the minority any vote I make will be peeing into the ocean.  Even if "Every little bit helps" (was that a Wolfe joke for Jonas?).

When your ideas are doomed to the minority and you don't believe the people  should have the right to dictate their governance there is little point.

I don't think it is an ignorant attitude, though I will accept that it is elitist and does not accept the principal "all men are created equal" - which would get me in some trouble unless I fall back on examples like the societal worth of a Ted Bundy versus a mother Theresa, which are trite and overdone examples.