(urth) interview tidbit

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 21:39:12 PST 2008

I agree with Roy - Wolfe's subject matter leads us to posit all the possible things that can explain the unexplainable gaps, and often we latch onto the wrong explanations.

For example, Borski deriving the name Ida from Baldanders with his cryptonymic scheme seems a step too far for me, but the name Pelagia really does seem to combine pelagic with Agia, making it difficult to entirely dismiss these name relationships.

Wolfe's statements are also intentionally ambiguous. For example, the end of a quote I just pulled up and no one commented on, from p 220 of Epiphany of the Long Sun.

"Become the goddess of love in a century or less, said the Outsider standing not behind Silk as he had in the ball court, but before him - stanidng on the still water of the pool, tall and wise and kind, with a face that nearly came into focus.  I would claim her in that case, long before the end.  As I have so many others.  As I am claiming Kypris even now because love always proceeds from me, real love, true love.  First Romance.

The Outsider was the dancing man on a toy, and the water the polished toy-top on which he danced with Kypris, who was Hyacinth, and Mother, too."

These are the kinds of statements Wolfe could be talking about, because they are very easy to either over analyze or ignore completely.  Hyacinth was possessed by Kypris, and this could mean either his mother is true love or that Kypris really is the mother of the special embryo pre-programmed to carry out the plan of Pas with the ability to influence others and even their stories, who knows how to fight with a sword without training. I prefer to read it as an affirmation that Kypris, the mistress of Typhon, is the mother of the special embryo planted on the whorl to bring about the completion of Pas' plan.

I can point to the text and say, it says Kypris is his mother right there on the page ... but it isn't that easy in Wolfe, and there is way too much wiggle room because of possessions, ambiguities, time warping, identities shifting, and other things that make him fun to read but it is hard to definitively prove ... that's what he is saying, right there on the page.