(urth) giants and magic gems and dudes wearing all black

Jorge Rapalo jrapalo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 19:31:49 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:
> sounds about right.
> what a shame their Dune never got made.

  Which does touch on the current discussions about the nature of
Messiahnic roles and the disconnect between effectiveness and
veracity.

> what a glorious mess that would have been.

  The Lynch work was a mess, though not that glorious.  I liked the
achieved atmosphere of baroque decadence, but felt that the core of
the original work was lost completely, not just that they simplified
into childish literalism the messiahnic role of the lead, but that the
missed that the core of the thematic threads was the mental and
physical improvement of man, by changing the Atreides avantage to a
scifi-ish kind of weaponry instead of a superior system of mental and
physicial conditioning.

> y'all read The Incal? killer stuff.

  Sadly, not in complete form.