(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Nov 26 13:23:49 PST 2008

It sounds great. I was just getting into that part of the article. (distracting myself more than enough today) didn't notice it was Margaret Atwood. I really love the three things I've read of hers, Oryx & Crake, Burning House and Handmaiden's Tale.
re: Earthsea, I'm actually taking mental stock of adolescent targeted mythic fiction. It seems like my boy will really be into this stuff.

>Two related thoughts (not sure where they originate in the discussion):
>
>Doubt: From what I understand about Catholic theology, doubt is significant to faith. And Wolfe must agree that God works in mysterious ways for him to invent or steal so many of those ways. And they are the same point, because doubt tests and creates faith.

Yes doubt does lead to faith. Doubt is something you sharpen your sword against.
I know I got interested in Scripture only after a lot of investigation into all the attempts to debunk it.  I was reading David Icke before Frijtof Shuon.

>So we have a fictional universe which does not overtly emphasize faith but does introduce heavy doses of doubt. It is clear and opaque; it is dark and light; it is conspiracy and chance; and the bad guys do work toward the ends of the Increate. Severian himself may believe himself not much less evil than Abaia and the other monsters, but it hardly matters---they all do the work of the Increate. "Dupe" is perhaps too strong a word, but in line with my thesis here---if the 21st century reader sees astrophysics in miracles and a con job in resurrection, then so be it. Any and all doubt is potentially able to lead us to faith. The author's hand may be revealed and his narrative purpose may still be furthered. Take to its extreme, TBotNS could make a science-favoring atheist wonder about what he believes.

YES!!!
and isn't Satan fulfilling an important role.
as was Vodalus.

>Flatness: Milan Kundera said something that always makes me think of TBotNS: the novel must be more intelligent than the author. This suggests that our impressions of TBotNS are more complex than what Wolfe actually did, which was complex enough but no doubt can be reduced to a few simple rules that interact to produce complexity. And this was deliberate; he has said that he threw every trick he knew into TBotNS.

again, YES!!!.
I've been making this same argument in another debate about the nature of symbols with some abstract expressionists who see their work as having no symbols in it, yet I see nothing but symbols in it.  An artist channels these things through the subconscious. Being close to the Secret Chiefs 3 efforts, I've seen this sort of deepening and unfolding of meaning happen in amazing ways with the work they are doing. Mind boggling correspondences that were never consciously intended.
but I think Wolfe IS fairly conscious of most of the levels of meaning we've discussed. I assume that it's in the very tight web of symbology that this richness is brought about unconsciously.