(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Mo Holkar / UKG lists at ukg.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 01:01:04 PST 2008

At 22:29 24/11/2008, Adam wrote:
>>Ron Hubbard was an excellent writer. "Fear" is possibly the scariest
>>book
>>I have read.
>
>Did he have a lobotomy before "Battlefield Earth," then?  I suffered
>through it in high school sometime, and even *I*, who would read
>ANYTHING, could tell it sucked.
>
>Adam

With Hubbard the general rule is: pre-1950, often good, sometimes
excellent ('Fear' and 'Typewriter in the Sky' are standouts);
post-1980, appallingly dire.

Inbetween, of course, he developed Dianetics, launched the Church of
Scientology, and all that. Which I don't know if you'd equate it to a
lobotomy, but it certainly did seem to have an adverse impact on his
sf writing.

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at: