(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Mon Nov 24 22:28:38 PST 2008

On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Jordon Flato wrote:

> That sounds about right, and from my discussions with SonOfWitz is
> about where he is too.  Funny how bringing in religion tends to add
> layers of confusion to discussions.

man, saturday night, after talking this stuff out with you I think I
get the time loop stuff better.

just now I was thinking about this:

On Nov 24, 2008, at 2:56 PM, John Watkins wrote:
> Whether or not this is so, it does nothing to make Severian's cosmic
> reset any more like the Second Coming, which is not part of a cyclical
> history at all.

I hadn't really used the "Second Coming" term much, i don't think, but
the two of you, J & J got me thinking about it.

it's NOT a second coming. it's a first.
Severian becomes the New Sun and brings the White Fountain – talk
about Comings– BEFORE he goes back in time and inspires/IS the
Conciliator.
when he's in UrthHistory (I don't know the Ages clearly, I suppose
it's Age of Myth) and lives as the Conciliator, it's AFTER his NewSun
role, so it's technically Second.
So you're absolutely right that it's not really a second coming.

talk about twisting up the myth.

Severian is his success before the myth that anticipates his success
is created.
Holy head spinning Amphisbaena time loops, Batman.
He will be the Conciliator come again, but he is the boy to the
conciliators man.

~witz