(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Mon Nov 24 14:46:29 PST 2008

>Well, there's no general resurrection and no judgment.  It's not clear that
>there's victory over a demonic power.

Wouldn't that "victory over a demonic power" idea be symbolized by the statement (somewhere in there) that the New Sun will destroy the worm in the heart of the old sun?

and "judgement"
I agree it doesn't equate to Judgment Day exactly.
But Severian is tested on Yessod, AS all Humanity, as he does represent ALL humanity, by being the multipersona Autarch.
remember, the Ascian's were trying to make all man one man in the opposite way, by erasing all differences. The Autarch said their own was the opposite path, that of uniting all humanity in one person.  Severian could truly be called a "Son of Man" in that holding all those personas, he truly does represent all Mankind.

>And instead of serving as a genuine Last Day, it's just a hit of the reset
>button.

"just"

>Other than that, I guess it's exactly like the Second Coming.  Which is to
>say it's not much like the Second Coming at all.
>
>It's much more like the Flood.

I believe (perhaps wrongly) that the babylonian flood myths which predate the Bible have a cyclical notion of reset in them.  When Marduk comes around. But I've only read Zacharia Sitchin in that dept, so that may be pretty dodgy.