(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 22 12:02:46 PST 2008

I don't have any textual basis for this, but I thought of the Torturers as tracing their lineage back to Typhon. This is sort of the reverse of your impression; the institution would have started out as secular, and then acquired its mystical aspects in order to maintain its cohesion over time.

--
"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set." -- Lin Yutang