(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 13:25:54 PST 2008

>2)  Severian is not Christ, but is propped up as a sort of
Christ-figure by the (by this theory, anyway) villianous
Hierogrammates.  He may be either their half-innocent dupe, in which
case he's basically Puzzle, or he may be their willing accomplice, in
which case he's basically the Anti-Christ.

This idea in particular has always seemed particularly compelling to me given what happens at the end of the Short Sun. I've always thought that we were supposed to contrast Silk and Severian at some very deep level.