(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Nov 21 13:00:20 PST 2008

Nice points David.

I'll reiterate that I don't think any connection to the historical Jesus is necessary.  I'm certainly not talking about Jesus. I'm talking about the energy that Jesus embodied.

though I do think this notion of looking backwards that Jordon and David bring up is good food for though.  It's very much like when Talos gives you a big elbo in the ribs and points out all the Frankenstein trappings, and says, elusively, that Frankenstein is inspired by this future event.

I think it absolutely supports your notions of backshadowing.

I should really try to hammer home that this Severian as Christ thing shouldn't be looked at too literally. Wolfe is playing with cosmology here, but this is not Divine Revelations (which the Bible is purported to be).  We can allow for some ill fits in a metaphor made by one MAN's mind when matched to the "Word of God".  I'd say don't get hung up on disproving it so much, because it offers a lot of meat to chew on when contemplating the story.