(urth) Shadow, Chapter X

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Nov 19 13:04:10 PST 2008

>I think we agree.  Part of the fun of Wolfe is figuring out the
>"secret identities" of his heroes, not just within the plot, but
>within its symbolic meaning.  Symbolically, I think Severian is
>clearly meant to present some of the aspects of Christ without
>functioning as an equivalent to Christ.  I think this is true of Silk
>as well, with different aspects.

I'm looking forward to reading The Long Sun. will start pretty soon. I think I'm gonna skip rereading Urth for now.
And yes, I don't mean to force an exact equivalency. I mean, Typhon, was analagous to Satan in the temptation, but isn't equivalent to Satan.

Raises the dead.
Turns water into wine.
Dies and is Resurrected.
Delivers a new kingom (USHAS)