(urth) Shadow, Chapter X

JBarach at aol.com JBarach at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 11:21:35 PST 2008

John writes:

> "Hypostasis" is the wrong term for what I think you're
> trying to convey.  In Christianity the term is used  of
> Christ to refer to how He can be simultaneously  God
> and Man.  Other humans are not God in a really  real
> sense, but they are images of God.  They share  the
> divine nature in the way that the painting of a  mountain
> shares the nature of a mountain--you can learn
> something about the mountain by looking at it,
> but not everything.

> Christ, Christians believe, shared the nature of God in
> a really real sense--they are consubstantial, identical
> in essence.

In this connection, it might be helpful to remember what Wolfe agrees to in
his interview with James Jordan, namely, that Severian is NOT a Christ figure,
 but is a "Christian figure."  He is not the God-man, the incarnation of the
Son, but he is someone whose life (which, of course, begins in BoTNS, with
baptism in the chapter "Death and Resurrection") is being conformed to the
pattern of Christ's.

John