(urth) Shadow, Chapter X

Joe Burger burger at cnidarianreef.com
Wed Nov 19 09:29:02 PST 2008

Hey all, I have been reading this list for years, this is the first time I have posted.

When I read that passage here was what thought about it.

At the time Severian is leaving the House Azure he is unhappy with what has transpired, and has vowed no to go there again. As he is leaving he see the white-haired man with the vile. I felt the vile was meant to show Severian a few things

The actual scene has the vile shaped as a phallus to symbolize power. In this case it's contents contain the power of desire. The old man symbolized someone who has lost his power. The contents of the vile are a way to get it back.

So to me the scene represent a few things for Severian. The first, the obvious literal reason in the story for taking the contents of the vile at such a place as the House Azure.

The other meanings

1) There always exists a quick path to power, but it ultimately makes you weak.

2) There are ways to achieve things quickly, but they make the experience artificial. By ignoring the fast path and taking the long journey, the experience is richer and you are ultimately better for not taking the shortcut.

So it is a turning point for Severian as he from then on takes the long journey to his role as the Autarch.

-Joe