(urth) re silk is hot

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 13:25:51 PST 2008

Sometimes irreconcilable differences in thought are resolvable because one of the views in question is simply wrong. (I work in an environment thoroughly saturated with the sort of relativistic outlook that all too happily says "Well, that's just my/her/his/their opinion and we are entitled to it" as if that was sufficient to settle everything in life.)

You too easily, now and in previous ruminations on the subject, say "that is all there is to it" (sans the magical 'o' you mentioned) as a way to just not think things through. Are people ill-suited to choose their government? Possibly. People are also, generally speaking, ill-suited to get through the trials and tribulations of life in a virtuous way. Whether you're well-suited or not, that's just too bad - we are thrown, at birth, into a world that makes these demands of us. I don't know if you can win or break even, but while you're still alive you certainly can't get out of the game.

As far as the bankers, I really don't know what you're getting at there. Are you saying that bankers are like... Mormons or something? The point I was originally making there is that while the banker may not have a great deal of knowledge about the greater workings of the government and larger issues out there, he nonetheless has a critical knowledge of his own interests, and a personal *stake* in them. It is difficult to maintain that he should have no active participation in decisions that affect his well-being in this way, at least if you think that government should have anything at all to do with our well-being. And, as I mentioned in a response to someone else, you can't exclude the banker anyway without removing him entirely from your society, because he always has the option to accept or not accept a given ruling. You can give him that option in the form of voting, or in some other form, or simply give him no options at all other than to violently rebel - which he will, if you push him far enough and give him no other recourse. How do you prefer to interact with the bankers of society?

--
"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set." -- Lin Yutang