(urth) re silk is caldo

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Nov 6 11:11:18 PST 2008

>Also: the comparison of India's caste system to Plato is an unfortunate one, and I think very unkind to Plato (or perhaps very optimistic about the caste system). Both have a hierarchy but the purpose is strikingly different. Not to mention the type of stratification. For Plato this occurs via differences in the individual's capabilities, and circumstances for each are adjusted according to those abilities. In the traditional caste system your place in life is determined by the circumstances of your birth, and no amount of natural ability can change them.

Well, the comparison I meant to make, but didn't highlight, is the existence of the Brahman caste that is supposed to by wise leaders versed in higher principals.  I was just making the comparison in the sense of Wise Ruling Elite.

I don't endorse India's caste system for sure. Nothing about Birth says anything about wisdom, much like race says nothing about how you will turn out.
these things are determined by Culture.

in regards to our culture, look at the last 8 years. at the bottom of the pyramid, we're in a Pirates of the Carribean frenzy.  At the top of the pyramid, we've had Pirates in office.  I think both inform each other, and not simply top down, but it does seem to illustrate the point that if you've got Pirates at top, you've got Pirates at the bottom.