(urth) Silk is Calde!

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:32:22 PST 2008

One thing about this election that I think GW would appreciate.

A nation lives by its myths about itself. One of America's myths about
itself
is that "anybody can grow up to be President."

This year, we made that a little bit truer. Not just with the election of
Obama,
but with the taking-seriously of the candidacies of Hillary Clinton and
Sarah
Palin, we eliminated the hidden truth: "...as long as they're a white male."

There are still barriers. An openly gay, Muslim, or atheistic person still
probably can't be President. But today our myth about ourselves is just
a little bit truer than it was yesterday.

Every nation has myths about itself, but America actually seems to
lurch, a little backwards, a little forwards, towards making its myths
about itself true.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----

I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a restaurant
and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand Island Dressing and
a bottle of chili sauce. -- T. Pratchett