(urth) hirsute sev

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 12:27:29 PDT 2008

thanks, didn't remember the case very well.

Pedro

From: crushtv at gmail.comTo: urth at lists.urth.netDate: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:25:01 -0500Subject: Re: (urth) hirsute sev

>Pedro says:
>If I rememeber correctly there's those hairy humans in the caves that Severian meets
>and scares with the light of The Claw who are supposedly humans who "regressed"
>to earlier evolutionary stages. I don't think there's any scientific basis for this at all,
>it's another example of Wolfe's Science Fantasy take on things.

IIRC, Severian believes that they are normal humans who have been artificially modified for the purpose the Autarch puts them to. He even posits that they might be aware that they have been misdeveloped in this fashion and resent it. Their Neanderthalishness might might havbe only a coincidental element of a utilitarian design.

J.