(urth) hirsute sev

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 10:24:05 PDT 2008

If I rememeber correctly there's those hairy humans in the caves that Severian meets and scares with the light of The Claw who are supposedly humans who "regressed" to earlier evolutionary stages. I don't think there's any scientific basis for this at all, it's another example of Wolfe's Science Fantasy take on things. As for Severian, no, he's not hairy at all and there's no reason to believe humans in general are hairier in TBotNS, not only on a scientific basis, but also no textual evidence whatsoever.

Pedro> Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:19:21 -0700> From: marcaramini at yahoo.com> To: urth at urth.net> Subject: (urth) hirsute sev> > The description of Sev is one of paleness punctuated by dark head hair - Thecla says he must stay out of the sun or his pale skin will burn terribly. This does not seem to jive in my mind with someone who has excessive body hair that would take away this paleness and cover him from the sun - and it is the veins on the back of his hands that make him a man, not his hairy chest. > > But I have no chest hair and it is certainly possible I am projecting a narcissistic image upon him that has no basis in the text.> > > > _______________________________________________> Urth Mailing List> To post, write urth at urth.net> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net