(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 15:24:46 PST 2008

Modernism is an apt characterization of Wolfe at times. I know I've often called him sf's closest analogue to "High Modernism" when introducing him to literary types.

I think it works best when talking about Wolfe's style. An emphasis on individual perspective and alternatives to traditional narrative forms works well for him.

But in terms of theme and substance, it's hard to line Wolfe up with the existentialist, or at least individualist, strain of so much modernist work. _The Wasteland_ would look very different if Wolfe had written it.

Of course all of that depends on the definition of modernism you're working with, and definitions of modernism are like opinions are like assholes...

And, Witz, I think modernism need not equal postmodernism. Postmodernism is usually out and out relativism of one brand or another. I often think of modernism as having a general predisposition akin to existentialism: i.e., the universe may be mere chaos, but the individual can still create stable meaning. For a postmodernist, even the individual is just a product of other random forces, not a true controlling subject.

But enough philosophy...I want to talk about giants and magic gems and dudes wearing all black...