(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 09:17:15 PST 2008

Price's book argues that's what's most interesting about Wolfe is the relationship he creates with the reader. He's more interested with the process through which Wolfe makes his readers come up with interpretations than he is with the actual content of those interpretations.

In other words, Price would probably be more interested in your excitement over thinking about Wolfe than he would be with whatever you come up with. The mythic dimension, on Price's reading, is less important for what it means spiritually/religiously/symbolically than it is as a source of allusion and narrative resonance on which Wolfe can draw.

Now, within that larger argument, he makes certain substantive interpretations about what's actually happening on both the plot and metaphorical level. But I get the sense that Price is less committed to the letter of those substantive interpretations than he is in the process by which Wolfe makes readers come to them.

Although I value it immensely, my difficulty with Price's book has always been something along the lines of this (overly simplified) dilemma: If a book creates a puzzle that the reader has to solve in order to grasp the real narrative, why does the "puzzle" (and the ways to figure it out) have to then be more important than the solution? Price almost always values the puzzle "form" over the "content" of the books, but I don't see why it has to be an either/or.

That said, Price's book is invaluable, I think because it tries to make a general argument about what we all initially find so attractive in Wolfe: the suggestive difference between perspective and actuality that underlies all of his concern with memory, identity, illusion, shape-shifting, etc. Even if you don't agree with him in the end, it makes Price's book much more valuable than attempts to offer single, reductive, and often idiosyncratic "solutions" to the Wolfean mazes.