(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:25:34 PST 2008

This whole discussion is of course, completely problematic.  I mean, IF
we're tying up correlations here, Christ couldn't have existed in Sev's or
Urth's world, as the second coming never came at all.  Unless it was
referring to some enormously distant event millions (or hundreds of
thousands depending on your timeline preference) of years distant from
Christ's first incarnation.  So, to me, that rules out the Sev is another
Christ in Earths world (as Christ as we know him didn't exist in Sevs world,
unless the Second coming was a lie).

Wait, this is even slipperyer.  So, if Sev can be Christlike because he has
correlations to Christ's story (both as Sev and as Concilliator), can a
historic Christ exist in his Urth's timeline?  Well, the Hut in the Village
seems to indicate that this is the case (although in reading from that
bible, Moses is spoken to by they Compasionating...is that a translation of
an existing nomenclature for the Judicac god?).  So, if Christ or a real
Christ analog DOES exist in the past of Urth, then 1) the second coming has
never come, and is either in Sev's future, or is wrapped up in him in some
way, or 2) was never a part of this version of Christ's narrative or 3) was
it is only meant to be allegorical correlation, and thus could be
interpretted a number of ways.

Or, in this story, Gene is retelling the Christian narrative, not
postulating a future addition to the gospel either as new Christ or
AntiChrist.

I'm not sure which is correct, and of course there are most likely infinite
other permutations here.  But we won't get far, considering the whole
picture (I think) in tying Sev to Christ in an meaningful way except in the
alignment (and misalignment) of Sev and Christ as literary creations.

But, to end this horribly mangled line of thought, the best thing about all
this, as has been said many times before on this board, is that there is a
work interesting and complex enough for us to get off so soundly in digging
into it!