(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Nov 21 11:10:48 PST 2008

yup.
it's all Jordon's fault.
nice to see you poke your lurking head out.
(tomorrow we'll have our Monomachy shirts)
(anyone in SF, Saturday night, Hotel Utah, Orange Tulip Conspiracy is playing. Good instrumental band. they're selling tee shirts with my Monomachy illustrations.  http://www.myspace.com/orangetulipconspiracy   )

I'm with you in that I don't find the manipulations and free will incompatible.  It's an old dilemma, but it's clear to me that God puts things in our paths (or puts us on the path) and it's up to us to make our choices.

I do have a hard time wrapping my head around some of the time loops.
I suppose you're right about Severian being the Conciliator all the time, just as he is Apu Punchau.  As I've mentioned, the mechanics aren't that important to me. what is important is that his life is a loop (which he outright says at one point of speculation).  Which is why I'm CONVINCED that the Amphisbaena is one of the most central symbols in the work.  Interesting that it's not simply an Uroboros eating it's tail, but a two headed serpent eating it's own head. This really speaks to the loopy nature of time within this cosmology better than a easy linear cycle of death and resurrection.

speaking of strange loops, I'm so glad you recommended these books to me. I finished Urth and started Shadow again the same day. I'm back to the beginning of Urth again.  Really some of the best fiction I've ever sunk my teeth into.  Thanks again.

~SonOfWitz