(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Nov 21 00:00:58 PST 2008

Craig,
First of all, let me say that I do agree with your ideas here.
everything you put works within the confines of the story. I think
your reading is valid and apt.

however, I feel they fall roughly into the category of "plowman's
meaning"
do you remember the 3 meanings bit? if not I'll dig up the text (I
found txt docs online for searching. I'm a geek, I freely admit)
anyway, The cow by the road is chewing grass. the cow is real, the
grass is real. the chewing is real.
all of the religious imagery is cloaked in at least one layer of scifi
disguise.

(I'll admit here that I've not read much sci fi OR scripture for that
matter.  I'd add, Thank God Wolfe cloaked his SciFi in many layers of
dusty medieval trappings.)

The single best post I've found on the Urth list falls roughly into
the "Soothsayer's meaning".  it speaks about the world around us,
ourselves and the connections between us.
http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0011/0069.shtml
which can more or less be summed up with this excerpt:
"the first 3 and a half books seem to deal with the theme of Severian
becoming his own man and casting off other authorities' hold on him.
Every authority that is, except that of the Increate."

and it's here that just about everyone is right about Severian. He's
Christ-LIKE. He's picked up the cross and tried to become a good man
doing the will of God.
He's shaking off false authorities: Guild, Typhon, Teenage Rebellion
(vodalus), Autarch (father figure) etc.
he's also defeating Foes of God: Baldanders (storming the heavens,
prometheus, Omega Point), Sorcerers (dark arts aimed at denying God),
Zooanthropes (those who would consciously abandon their duty to become
fully human), Ascian (godless communists), etc.
He reforms the guild and generally demonstrates mercy at all times
when he has a choice.

Great stuff that does not yet put him into the divine category.
All these interpretations are very much there in the symbols, and are
as true as the straightforward plot elements.
It's at this level of meaning  that the thing gets really interesting
to me.  I didn't really like the books plotting all that much until I
started getting a whiff of this. (I loved the writing though)

Most of the stuff I'm arguing for falls into the "Transcendental
meaning"
and I think I've argued those points fairly well, so I won't repeat it
here.
but it's at this level that it becomes a great story for me.
but that's probably just me. I've always gravitated to the abstract
mystic side of spiritual matters.
it's no surprise that most people don't because it's been almost bred
out of us, and Religion has shunted this stuff into the corners with
the Sufis, Qabalists, and Gnostics.
the sorts of things that resonate with me about Religion and
Christianity in particular aren't for most people. (I'm NOT saying I'm
wise and elite and better, understand me please)
it's just that notions of sin and guilt mean nothing to me.  But the
idea of being both Human(mundane) and Divine, crucified on the
crossroads of Time and Eternity (Kronos x Kairos) speaks DIRECTLY to
what I feel in my soul in every moment of every day.  that crossroads
is more or less at Christ's heart, not his brain, and most Christian
doctrine is from the heart.
That sort of notion is impractical to most people, so a different
reading is more useful to them.
but my heart explodes when I come to understand Christ as ALL MANKIND
in that situation, which we all ARE.

Now I've also had my doses of Armageddon fever. (it's been going
around a lot this decade, if you haven't noticed).  Millennialism.
I think humanity is on a suicidal course in many ways and I have
little faith in us.  sometimes I only find hope in the notion of
Apocatastasis. RESET. Wipe the slate clean. start over.
We're in Kali Yuga, and she'll be coming with that flaming sword any
day I suppose. It will be flaming death for most of us, but a new
Golden Age will be reborn.
So I take the Story of Severian being the bearer of the Sword that
Cuts and the Sword that Heals very much to heart.  The deluge of Earth
becomes the baptism of Ushas.

If I've sounded like I've been scoffing in my posts, it's because I do
find it sort of strange to prefer the mundane answers.
I mean, who the hell cares who Severa is if it doesn't speak to
anything besides plotting?
It's nothing personal to anyone here. I'm thrilled that people are
excited about these books and parsing them out so thoroughly.
If my propositions are thorny, well, they should be. People look at
everything to literally. it's a curse in the age of Mythbusters.  That
"Myth" means "false legend" to most people is a TRAVESTY.
but I mean any provocative comments in the best spirit and I hate to
think I offend or step on anyones toes.

and since I probably have stepped on some toes, I'll say that I just
now realized the quest for Catherine is very interesting in light of
the notion of Goddess or Mother of God.
I don't know much about it, but humanity was evidently Goddess
worshipping for a long time, and that stuff is like a lost mystery.
If I'm not mistaken Allat, a Goddess was worshipped before Allah, and
she is preserved in the emblem of Islam in the Crescent moon.  As far
as I've heard the Church tried to minimize the role of Mary, but
people would not stop celebrating and worshiping the Mother of God.
(and well they shouldn't I suppose).  So perhaps Wolfe's obfuscation
of Catherine is meant to speak to this  Missing or Lost Mother Goddess
figure.  Her identity is NOT the mystery, it would seem, but what her
Absence implies that becomes interesting.

anyway, I ramble on.
thanks for engaging my ideas, Craig.

~Witz