(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 14:49:10 PST 2008

You've got to admit that's about a slippery a statement as they come:

"I wanted Severian to have to face at  least the possibility that being an agency of pain and death is not  necessarily an evil thing. "

Severian had to "face," not accept, "the possibility," not the necessity, that causing pain is "not necessarily an evil thing," which, of course, doesn't say that it's good, only "not evil."

Even when he talks about violence and authority before, he never says that it's justfiable for people in authority to use violence. He only says that people who find themselves in positions of authority often find that it's necessary. That statement absolutely refuses to reveal a moral judgment on whether necessity makes it "okay."

To me, the ambiguity is the point. The most fascinating thing about Severian is that he is a good man in a bad world. That means that it's impossible for him to be totally good, but it doesn't remove the imperative to be good.

Just because something evil is necessary doesn't make it good. The problem of being a moral human being is learning how to live under impossible conditions like that, and Severian is interesting to me for precisely that reason.