(urth) Shadow, Chapter X

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 14:07:40 PST 2008

I see that in my previous post, I've come late to a discussion that already covered some of the ground I mentioned. My apologies. (Also for being the second to post that quote from the Jordan interview.)

But, Son of Witz, I have a few questions: What is the significance of Severian's being a "Hypostasis of the Logos"? You said that, in your terms, Jesus was also a "Hypostasis of Logos" but that, because he was tempted, he's not a perfect instatiation. Were you arguing that Severian was a more or less perfect instantiation? To me, it seems that he's *radically* less perfect, and that is the point.

Calling him an instantiation of logos gives Severian a kind of metaphysical priority that I'm not sure I agree with. However, if anyone "good" can be said to be a "Hypostasis of Logos," then I'm with you.

I guess my real question is this: Doesn't it make the story almost infinitely less interesting if we simply discover that Severian was basically divine all along? If that's what we're getting, then, to put it bluntly, there really wasn't much of a story to tell. Everything was fine from the get go, and any doubt about Severian's success or the coming of the New Sun was just a matter of not knowing all the details. There was never anything for Severian to prove or be tested for. All of his concerns about his role as a torturer and what it means to do right in the ambiguous world in which he found himself were just fake problems. But it not only means that there wasn't any real tension in the story all along, it also means that the moral dilemmas which the story so often seemed to be about aren't really something that human beings can relate to. We would screw up because we're human. Severian does good because he's divine. There's nothing for mere humans
 to reflect on except that, shucks, it's too bad we're not divine, too.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong and that's what we're getting all along. But if it is, then what we have is a myth. We don't have a story with tangible human protagonists. Consequently, we shouldn't read the books as a novel about humans interacting with the divine. Instead, we should treat it as a tableau that simply puts images to a theology.

Again, that may be what it is. But if that's what it is, then it's an artifiact of Wolfe's own beliefs which might be of interest to some Catholics. But can it ever be meaningful for anyone else, apart from a fascinating curiosity of one man's very vivid theological imagination?