(urth) Shadow, Chapter X

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Nov 14 00:10:12 PST 2008

Son of Witz wrote:
> I'm now convinced that he's steered along almost completely. I take
> it as the hand of God. Dress that up with the characters however you
> want, be they Angels or Aliens or whatever.  He obviously has free
> will, but everything is placed very nicely in his path for him to
> exercise that will.  That's his testing, far more than the testing in
> Yessod.  With that in mind, I don't consider it a flaw of this
> fiction, instead it's the very fabric of this fable.

I'm not sure that I agree, but Sev seems to agree that he has been
manipulated by forces not unseen but privy to what is unseen, when he
writes that he has backed into the throne. This suggests to me a hint
that the general outlook on passing time on Urth has come to resemble
that of the Homeric Greeks. Where we moderns see ourselves as looking
forward into the unknown as the head of a marching column of historical
figures more or less, many writers claim the Hellenes rationalized the
unseen details future as being hidden behind them as they marveled at
the slowly growing pageant of glorious deeds and great nations recorded
in the epics, and perhaps lesser but still noteworthy accomplishments
passed on by scholars and only "looked forward" to fancy themselves to
be remembered as part of all that. This goes a bit further on Urth where
most people can see the past glories of unnumbered ages crammed,
crumbled, and covered-over willy nilly, hardly leaving any room for them
to make a mark for posterity.

This literally takes on a new dimension with the backward-living
hierodules and other Yesodis, who really can look backward into the
hidden minor details of the the future and adjust things to have Sev
abruptly back into the throne with no grand foreshadowing or visible
predestiny perceptible to the humans.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >