(urth) re silk is calde

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 21:52:24 PST 2008

I'm responding to this at the risk of taking the list off the topic of Wolfe, but I think I can bring it back. Isn't Marc Aramini's position essentially Severian's? It reminds me very much of his dream of being quizzed by Master Malrubius on the 7 (I believe...no text here) types of government. The most basic, according to the list he recites, is attachment to the person of the monarch, and they develop towards what looks like a constitutional democracy. But then Malrubius asks Severian which form best characterizes his relationship to "the divine," and Severian says, essentially, that the most primitive form of government, attachment to the person of the monarch, is in fact the most spiritual.

I've always wondered about that passage and about the political thinking on Wolfe's part that it works out. In the context of the book, in which theological perfections are, in some measured, realized in the mundane world, Severian is ultimately successful because of his approximation of that ideological "purity." And yet...Severian, even as Autarch, does not embody that ideal. He only approximates it.

As a political philosophy, I often wonder about this kind of thinking. Marc Aramini's post suggests that democracy is problematic because it is less ideal than a greater ideal of being ruled by an ideal monarch. And I agree with that "in principle," which is a phrase he uses as well: I'd much rather be ruled by a proven exemplar of human virtue than by the will of the multitude.

The only thing that saves this from fascism, however, is the actual ideal nature of that monarch. In a mundane world, i.e., a plain old political world, how would we guarantee such ideal virtue, much less figure out who has it in the first place? In tBotNS, Severian has marks of theological ideality singling him out all the time. That's a nice perk of being fictional. I think one can accept all of the problems that Marc Aramini points out about voting, and recognize that they are potentially less awful than mistaking a Typhon or a Severian or a Silk.

But I suppose my real question here is whether what Marc has laid out is actually Severian's politics.

(And, just a rhetorical question to Marc: Is it a good argument to refuse to participate in a flawed system because it lacks an ideal nature that you admit it could never actually have? If you think that the "best" government could never actually exist, how can that be reason to dismiss the "least worst" that is in fact possible?)