(urth) Stingray

Nigel Price nigelaprice at talktalk.net
Mon Nov 3 14:33:59 PST 2008

As I was writing about evil undersea cities and civilisations in AEG and the
Urth Cycle, one part of my mind facetiously wandered and wondered whether
Gene Wolfe had ever watched the Gerry Anderson puppet show "Stingray" in the
1960s. As I thought whimsically about it, the parallels scattered through
his books became stronger and stranger. Was Seawrack inspired by Marina? Was
the idea of the US Navy attacking the Storm God inspired by the sight of
Troy Tempest and the WASPs attacking Titan and his aquaphibian minions?

No, of course not, it's a silly idea. It's not as if Wolfe ever refers to
puppetry in his stories.

Hang on there, wait a minute...

What about that dream Severian has of the toy theatre and the marionette
versions of himself and Baldander?

Goodness! If I'm right, anything can happen in the next half hour...

Nigel (in a playful mood)