(urth) Severian as a student

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat May 31 16:55:18 PDT 2008

The feat of reconstructing the entire "Book of the New Sun" from memory
is sufficient to prove to me that Severian had a photographic memory as
he claimed. Nobody would even attempt such a task without one. If they
did, it wouldn't read like something carefully written; it would be full
of mistakes and backtracks.

But when he left the guild, Master Palaemon tried to give him advice for
the road. Severian missed it because he wasn't paying attention.
Palaemon said, "Now you must do without it, but doubtless you would have
forgotten everything anyway."

At first it may seem strange that Palaemon regarded him as having a poor
memory.  But there is a simple explanation. Early on, Severian must have
learned that it was a poor strategy to be a teacher's pet in a school
filled with other boys trained in the art of excruciation. He learned to
act the part of a poor student. This is similar how "I, Claudius" had to
act the part of a fool to survive.

"I had lied often to Master Gurloes and Master Palaemon, to Master
Malrubius while he still lived, to Drotte because he was captain, to
Roche because he was older and stronger than I, and to Eata an the other
smaller apprentices because I hoped to make them respect me."

Here's an example of how it worked. "Outside, feigning ignorance, I
asked Master Palaemon who Vodalus of the wood was." Severian got a
rebuke for listening to the words of a client, and another for keeping
his hands in his pocket (a deliberate act to deflect the Master's
anger). Just as he intended, he got Drotte to tell him about Vodalus
without revealing that he already knew the name.

They say it's more difficult to lie than to tell the truth because a
liar has more to remember. Severian wouldn't have a problem with that.
Then also suggests that discrepancies should be harmonized where
possible instead of treating them as signs of lies. Severian should be
most consistent when he is lying. If this book was a rewrite from memory
he got a second chance to fix any mistakes.

The hand-off of the gun from Vodalus to Hildegrin or Thea is easily
reconciled. Hildegrin said he couldn't use it, so it was clearly with
the approval of Vodalus that Thea took it next. Thus he "gave the pistol
to his mistress" even though he handed it first to Hildegrin.