(urth) Off-topic Question

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 13:20:49 PDT 2008

Seeing as we've been quite off-topic lately, I figured another
mostly-Wolfe-unrelated thread wouldn't hurt. As I mentioned in an earlier
thread, I'm trying to decide what to do for a senior thesis. I think I've
decided on writing about Christianity and influence on detective fiction -
I've got a list of writers I think are relevant, but if anyone could suggest
further writers, I'd be grateful. The Urth list seems pretty well-read after
all...

My list, as it stands now:

"Irreligious" Writers
Arthur Conan Doyle (In the early stories Holmes has a dislike for religion,
though Doyle believed in some form of afterlife)
Umberto Eco (Lapsed Catholic, murder in a monastery)

Religious Writers
Margery Allingham
P.D. James
G.K. Chesterton
Ronald Knox (Priest and friend of Evelyn Waugh)
Dorothy L. Sayers
Ellis Peters (Not sure)

I may be forgetting some here, and my knowledge of crime fiction is far from
extensive

Also - any Wolfe stories that would fit in this framework? I know he has a
few detective stories, plus of course he draws on mystery a lot in The Book
of the Long Sun. Tim Powers might be relevant too - he seems to go in for a
mystery-like setting sometimes.

Thanks a lot.

-Matt