(urth) difference engine

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 13 17:50:25 PDT 2008

Stuart Hamm <hammstu at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Hmm...should I go back and re-read it?

> I am a huge W Gibson fan...my 2nd CD was "Kings of Sleep",,,but I really
> didn't like DE and read a book by the co-author (Islands in the Net ??)
> and thought it was, as Roddy Doyle says.."A Gob of Shite"

I personally have not read it, but from having discussed SF quite a bit in
other places, my estimate is that about 95% of the people who have read it
didn't like it and only about 5% liked it.  So probably not.

The general consensus seems to be that it was a low point for both
authors.  I've read other things by Bruce Sterling that I quite enjoyed
(_Heavy Weather_, for example, although it's not what I'd call great
literature).

Sometimes the collaborations work and sometimes they just don't.