(urth) Other SF writers? (Was: How list works and questions to mailers)

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Mon May 12 16:28:39 PDT 2008

> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes writes:
>

>> I would recommend, with slight hesitation, James Blish, and especially
>> his
>> four-volume trilogy (and that's not a paradox) "After Such Knowledge."
>> The
>> first book (_Doctor Mirabilis_) is a historical novel retelling the
>> life of friar
>> Roger Bacon; the second, in two volumes (_Black Easter_ and _The Day
>> After Judgment_) a contemporary fantasy/horror novel, and the third (_A
>> Case of Conscience_) a SF novel. Together they are an inquiry into the
>> question whether the quest for secular knowledge for its own sake is a
>> valid goal, or indeed permissible at all, from a Christian (sc.
>> Catholic) point
>> of view.
>
> In earlier days here I mooted the concept of "Catholic fantabulation" - a
> type of fantastic fiction that descended from the Christianised paganism
> of the Catholic church's worldview, rather than via Wells from the secular
> protestantism-dying-into-atheism  of mainstream Western society.

Splain to me how Catholicism isn't Western, or isn't mainstream Kemo Sabe.
Last I checked there were more Catholics than Protestants, in the West as
well as in the United States of America. It's this late 20th century
quasi-Calvinist, quasi-Marxist atheistic protestantism that is the
aberration.

Here's a joke:

Q: How are the Dominicans and the Jesuits the same?

A: They were both founded by Spaniards who were both soldiers before they
got religion, they are both organized along military lines, and they were
both formed to combat heresy: the Domininicans to fight the Albigensians
and the Jesuits to fight the Protestants.

Q: How are they different?

A: When is the last time you met an Albigensian?

.