(urth) Off-topic Question

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Sat May 17 20:36:32 PDT 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 10:12 PM, dcooperv wrote:

> You could probably put Hammett and Chandler in there, possibly on the
> irreligious side. I say this only because (IMO) it's near-impossible
> to have an
> intelligent discussion of the genre without acknowledging these two,
> given the
> significance of their contributions. I always saw them as
> existentialist more
> than anything else really. Of course, existentialism does not preclude
> religiosity by any means (and nothing bugs me like a false
> dichotomy!). Read
> Dostoeyevsky and Martin Buber for good examples of this.
> Can you give us a more specific idea of your thesis? If nothing
> else, this could
> spark some enlightening conversation.

And, man, Chandler is underrated.

That's some complex and delicious stuff there.  Marlowe is *so* much
smarter and better-educated than he lets on; one of my favorite not-
quite-reliable narrators (there's the Wolfean connection).  As far as
I'm concerned, _The Big Sleep_ is one of the great books of the 20th
Century.  Chandler is--hey, another Wolfean connection--a genre writer
who was *spectacularly* good, not just compared to the rest of the
genre, but period.

Adam