(urth) How list works and questions to mailers

Chris Laybourn laybournchris at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 15:42:01 PDT 2008

As a Wolfe newbie - I can't answer that question but I have another of my own.  Is there any online interviews of Wolfe talking about BotNS?

From: mcquaryq at comcast.netDate: Fri, 16 May 2008 18:23:34 -0400To: urth at lists.urth.netSubject: Re: (urth) How list works and questions to mailersIt's usually the southern folk who think SF constitutes the north.  I thought 'Hayfork' was just someone pulling my leg but sure enough, there it is, and not terribly far from Cummings, where my family vacationed a few times at a small resort called Big Bend.  Pynchon lived thereabouts while writing Vineland.  Or farther north maybe.  And R. Crumb the comic artist lived in the Willits/Pottersville area in the 70s or 80s, I think.  So there's yer cultcha.  And not to be so continually off-topic:

Here's a Wolfe query:  What is the author's intent in making the Book of the LS and the Book of the SS so very different in style, both from each other and from the NS?  Has he made mention anywhere of his decision, specifically, not to tell Silk's story in the first person?  What is gained?

Steven