(urth) Women read Wolfe too & Other SF writers & questions to mailers

Helen Algmin helenalgmin at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 18:13:32 PDT 2008

Thanks for posting, Ms. Konopka!  I admit I was feeling a little out of place.

I am 27 years old.  I'm female.  I live in the Chicago area.  I go to the library once a week and keep a notebook with me at all times for writing down good book suggestions.

I never heard of Gene Wolfe until I went to see Neil Gaiman about three years ago.  Mr. Wolfe was the special guest.  If anyone has seen him speak, you will know why I was so interested.  I ran right out to get a one of his books.  I picked up "Pandora, by Holly Hollander" of all things!

My favorite Wolfe books are the Soldier series.  And I consider trying to understand Peace to be a labor of love (I'm still mulling over your comments, Mr. Tallman!)

I am loving Steve Brust lately.  Something about his main character Vlad in the "Jhereg" series reminds me a little little bit of Latro.

(Phew, I got all the topics completed in one e-mail.)

P Konopka <pattycake617 at yahoo.com> wrote: I've never posted before but felt compelled to do so today.
I'm a 40 year old mother of three living in Michigan and I've read science fiction and fantasy from about the age of 10.
I've read most of Wolfe's works but since I can't find anyone (male or female) else that has, I subscribe to this list.
I read pretty widely; with 3 kids it's my "escape" if you will.
I have never read any books that my neighbors or coworkers (i.e. other women) have ever heard of, and vice versa.
Not a lot of female sci-fi / fantasy fans out here in suburbia.
Have any other women posted?
Patty