(urth) Other SF writers?

Kerry Benton k.benton at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:11:11 PDT 2008

Heartily!

Dune's one of my very favorite books.  As noted, the subsequent books
fall off in quality.  I rank Children and Messiah as "decent", and God
Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse as varying levels of "readable",
all more or less on a geometrically declining quality scale.  This is
of course is not including the latter day sins of Chris Herbert...
those books are dross on a whole other scale (exponential!) ranging
from awful to totally unreadable.  And I was so excited when I first
heard of the first one.  Bleh.

Anyway, Dune's got that very complete feeling in the universe Herbert
constructs.  I love the small glimpses of the extended society.  It's
depth that's not plumbed as much as alluded to, but I find it rounds
everything out, and creates a more perfect experience, in much the
same way that the best meals have some not quite graspable character
of *completeness*, above the mere agglomeration of materials and
application of varying levels of heat.

This is true of all my favorite works, though I guess I have a
fondness for epics precisely because inhabiting well constructed,
genuine-feeling worlds is so satisfying.  This is Tolkein's draw as
well.

-k