(urth) Other SF writers? (Was: How list works andquestions

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Mon May 12 18:37:04 PDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Oliver Wakefield wrote:

> Wow, alot of authors ive never heard of here. Need to get cracking. On
> the steampunk note I was quite excited to read "the difference engine"
> but found it flagged seriously at the conclusion.

I know why you are saying that, in that it seems sketchy after the
density of the earlier episodes, but on rereading it I found it
beautifully understated.

> Anyone know of any decent steampunk books.?

Not really decent but ambitious and OK Paul De Filippo _Steampunk Trilogy_

Kind of tangentially steampunk with strong writing -- Ian McLeod _The
Light Ages_, Keith Roberts _Pavane_, John Crowley _Great Work of Time_,
Michael Moorcock's Oswald Bastable series.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

David Duffy.