(urth) Other SF writers? (Was: How list works and questions to mailers)

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:16:01 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
wrote:

> In earlier days here I mooted the concept of "Catholic fantabulation" - a
> type of fantastic fiction that descended from the Christianised paganism of
> the Catholic church's worldview, rather than via Wells from the secular
> protestantism-dying-into-atheism  of mainstream Western society.
> Other members of this group of writers (apart from Wolfe) would include
> the Inklings (Lewis, Tolkien, etc), Chesterton,  Lafferty, and also their
> ideological opponents like Pullman and Blish (because opposition is a
> tribute: it's parodic deconstruction that kills, something that those who
> puffed THE GOLDEN COMPASS as a counterweight to the Narnia films signally
> failed to understand).
> Crowley would make the cut since his best work is based on modernized
> takes of the medaeval/Catholic cosmology.

"Catholic fantabulation," huh? I was actual thinking of doing  something
similar (which I'd planned to call the  "Catholic fantastic") for a senior
thesis. I don't think that's going to be my topic, but it's still something
I'm interested in, and I didn't know about Wright before, so I'll have to
look him up.

-Matt