(urth) Other SF writers? (Was: How list works and questions

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Mon May 12 14:49:48 PDT 2008

Anyone who likes Wolfe should, if they can, get ahold of Sean
Williams' "Books of the Change" and "Books of the Cataclysm." I know
the latter are published by Pyr in the States, but I've had to order
most of my copies from Australian sellers, although the hunt was well
worth it.  "The Books of the Cataclysm" are among the finest SF I have
ever read.

Tad Williams (I've a thing for the name, it seems) also springs to
mind as another top-flight SF novelist, as do the "old faithfuls" of
LeGuin, Leiber, Moorcock, Zelazny, Moore, Howard and Vance. If you
like more gritty, militaristic fantasy, Glen Cook has recently
released some of his "Black Company" novels in anthologies, which are
well worth it if you dig the style (think Able with slightly more self-
awareness and humor).

The other books I have been reading lately (apart from law books) are
Naomi Novik's "Temeraire" novels. They've been compared to what would
happen if you replaced Patrick O'Brian's ships with dragons. And
they're excellent. It's rare for something involving dragons to hold
my interest at all, but Novik really has a gift and has created
clever, endearing, and intelligent novels with some real depth to them.

And in the more epic fantasy vein, I've enjoyed George R.R. Martin's
"A Song of Ice and Fire" novels since I first read them in the late 90s.

Best,
Lane