(urth) Other SF writers? (Was: How list works and questions to mailers)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:19:53 PDT 2008

On 2008.05.12 20:35:18 +0100, Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com> scribbled 3.8K characters:
>    On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>      Tim Walters writes:
>
>        I also recommend Paul Park, Kelly Link, and Robert Aickman, who share many
>        of Wolfe's best qualities, and John Crowley, who isn't much like Wolfe but
>        is equally good.
>
>      And the sainted R A Lafferty
>      hartshorn
>
>    All the Lafferty discussion on this list has put the man on my reading list. Where should I
>    start?

Start with _Fourth Mansions_, if you don't want to pick up one of the short story collections. It's probably one of the 'purest' and best novel distillations of Lafferty. After reading it, you'll know whether you like him or not.

If you do, you could move on to _The Devil is Dead_ and the others.

--
gwern
ASPIC SHAPE Video E-Bomb SALDV TOS Sponge argus FLiR IWO