(urth) Seven American Nights Forgery?

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Fri May 9 09:44:32 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman wrote:
>Suppose the U.S. government decided that Nadan needed to disappear. They
>might have planted the notebook to lay a false trail for the
>investigator. I don't think the whole thing is forged -- that would be
>too simple of a "closed loop." The notebook is not of American
>manufacture; it wouldn't be so easy to replace the whole thing. But if
>the forging machine can wield a pen it would be easy to add a misleading
>ending.

And in a subsequent post:
>The reader of the forged account is supposed to believe that Nadan,
>despondent over having loved a werewolf and possibly crazed by the
>drugged egg, has set out alone for the interior of America. I believe he
>was captured and killed by the F.E.D. instead.

If the F.E.D., for reasons unexplained, wanted Nadan dead, and in fact
killed him, they would have to have gone to extraordinary lengths in forging
an account no one else had reason to believe even existed, and in so doing
do something pointless and stupid. If Nadan had been killed by the U.S.
government, the government would have no reason to suppose that a private
investigator would eventually be hired by his family to investigate his
disappearance, so there would be no need to "plant" a false account. Nadan
would simply have disappeared without a trace, or been the victim of a
random "crime" or "accident" in a rough and violent land.

-Roy