(urth) Etymology/meaning/onomatopoeic aspects of the word "Urth"

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:19:18 PDT 2008

I think it likely that Briah represents a more primal (spiritual)
stage of existence, as you say.  Both names (Briah and Yesod) are
taken from Kabbalah/Gnosticism. Briah is the second of the four
cabalistic worlds, philosophically the one that relates to the
instantiated Platonic forms, the world of creation and immanence.
Yesod, however, is the penultimate stage of cabalistic spiritual
development, only one step away from the godhead. It is also the means
by which the manifestation of justice and mercy (Tiferet) seek to
unite with the Kingdom of God. If I remember correctly, when I asked a
classics scholar friend of mine what "madrigot" meant he told me it
was "level" in Hebrew. So Severian traveling along the Madrigot
represents him traveling through levels of spiritual development in
existence as well as through his own subjective experience of time.
He's the flowing back of spiritual completeness from beyond Yesod that
bridges Briah with Malkhut.

Or as best I can recall from my cheap-and-easy study of Gnosticism
while studying Neoplatonism.

Best,
Lane