(urth) First sight of *An Evil Guest*

aaron aaronsingleton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:21:01 PDT 2008

Indeed Vance is dictating his auto-biography into tape recorder and his new
live-in caregiver is transcribing these tapes to paper.  I for one cannot
wait for the end result.  Vance has led an interesting life, from working as
a Naval electrician in Pearl Harbor just two weeks before the disaster there
to writing scripts for 20th Century Fox's Captain Video TV show in the 50's.

I have read everything Vance has published with the exception of one of the
mysteries.  To me, other than The Dying Earth series, his best work has to
be the four book series called Tschai (aka Planet of Adventure-not Vance's
title)  consisting of  City of the Chasch,  Servants of the Wankh, The
Dirdir, and The Pnume.   Kind of like Wolfe's 'four book trilogy'.  But
really, you won't go wrong with any Vance written from the 60's onward.

As far as Latro goes, I am unsure about whether or not this is the final
book, but I THINK not.  I have yet to read it myself.

I hope Wolfe will continue to write into his late eighties as Vance did, but
who can say?  I guess we should all treasure each and every piece of work we
get from him from now on.

Aaron Singleton