(urth) Sev's common lineage

David Wells adavid_wells at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 30 13:36:13 PDT 2008

>From: "Mark Millman" <markjmillman at gmail.com>>Dear b sharp: >On Monday 30 June 20008, you wrote: >> I still don't see that any effort should>> be made to find a source of exultant>> blood for Severian. >Severian is the Epitome of Urth, and possibly of humanity, if Urth be>taken to be the epitome of the human worlds of the galaxy. The>exultants are of Urth and have been since the time of the Monarch a>thousand years earlier, but originated off-world. It's possible that>among the reasons that Ymar and the Old Autarch failed is that they>did not represent the exultants. If Severian has exultant heritage,>then he does.

It seems to me that it could be seen exactly the opposite way round.

The exultants are not really Of This Urth. You point out that they originated off-world.

As others have said, the mating of Men and Monsters (or Angels?), and genetic engineering in general,
seems to be generally disparaged.
Perhaps it was necessary for Severian to be of the common(er) people?

newt